Essays about: "dark matter"

Showing result 1 - 5 of 114 essays containing the words dark matter.

  1. 1. Investigating a possible dearth of stars with zero angular momentum in the solar neighbourhood.

    University essay from Lunds universitet/Astronomi - Genomgår omorganisation

    Author : Aayush Desai; [2023]
    Keywords : Galaxy: disk; Galaxy: fundamental parameters; Galaxy: kinematics and dynamics; Galaxy: nucleus; solar neighborhood; stars: kinematics and dynamics; Physics and Astronomy;

    Abstract : Background. Carlberg & Innanen (1987) first proposed the idea of measuring the solar re- flex velocity (the velocity of the Sun around the galactic centre), Vg,⊙, using the momenta of the stars in the solar neighbourhood. The proposal was a consequence of the work of L. READ MORE

  2. 2. Application of a Boosted Decision Tree to signals andbackgrounds of the search for Dark Mesons at theATLAS experiment

    University essay from Uppsala universitet/Högenergifysik

    Author : Eva Mayer; [2022]
    Keywords : ;

    Abstract : An ongoing analysis at the ATLAS experiment is searching for a Dark Matter candidate in the shape of Dark Mesons. Simulations of the signal and background data have been produced with the Monte Carlo method. This project tests the possibilities of using Boosted Decision Trees for the distinction between the simulated signal and background data. READ MORE

  3. 3. Constraining Physics Beyond the Standard Model with Emerging Jets using the ATLAS Experiment

    University essay from KTH/Fysik

    Author : Simon Thor; [2022]
    Keywords : ATLAS; CERN; particle physics; simulation; Python; C ; standard model; emerging jets; long-lived particles;

    Abstract : Dark matter, the unknown matter that constitutes 85% of all matter in the universe, is one of the greatest mysteries in fundamental physics. One theory that might explain dark matter predicts that there are long-lived particles known as dark pions. READ MORE

  4. 4. Starbursts at Cosmic Dawn : Formation of Globular Clusters, Ultra-Faint Dwarfs, and Population III star clusters at z > 6

    University essay from Stockholms universitet/Institutionen för astronomi

    Author : Olof Nebrin; [2022]
    Keywords : Cosmology; Galaxy Formation; Globular Clusters; First Stars; Dark Matter; Cosmic Dawn; Reionization; Ultra-Faint Dwarfs;

    Abstract : In the standard model of cosmology (ΛCDM) the first stars, star clusters, and galaxies are expected to have formed in short bursts of star formation in low-mass dark matter halos at high redshifts (). Up to this point, attempts to predict the properties and abundances of these luminous objects have made use of numerically expensive cosmological simulations. READ MORE

  5. 5. Signatures of Dark Matter at the LHC : A phenomenological study combining collider and cosmological bounds to constrain a vector dark matter particle model

    University essay from Uppsala universitet/Högenergifysik

    Author : Anton Olsson; [2022]
    Keywords : Dark matter; particle phenomenology; LHC; MadGraph; standard model; beyond standard model;

    Abstract : Everything that humans have ever touched, created or built something from consists of a type of matter that only makes up 15 percent of the total matter in the universe. The remaining 85 percent is attributed to dark matter, a so far not discovered and non-luminous type of matter. READ MORE